Sunday, January 3, 2010

Every Dog has its Story...by Pickles

My name is Pickles, a brindle french bulldog. I am not really French; as I hailed from Australia. But they say it's my breed, so I guess I am really Aussie French. I have had puppies but they were always taken away. I was abandoned about three years ago with serious yeast systemic infection (Malassezia sp.), with about 90% fur loss at that time. It was a painful and torturing experience which no cute doggy like me should ever need to go through.

After what seemed forever, I was lucky to have been waited upon by an experienced couple who runs a boarding house, who spent unlimited effort in nursing me to health. In fall 2008, I adopted this mutt couple who came and visit me every weekend. They think that I am a sweet and calm brindle, who is very kind to humans and a boisterous alpha-wannabe (Believe me, I am better than they think!).

At the time of the adoption, I had specific areas that were bald and with thick grey skin like that of an elephant. It itched and was sore, so so often that I can't help scratching till it bled. It required absolute dedication to clean me everyday and twice weekly bathing (one hour each time) to ensure my infection is under control. Even then there was no hope of further improvement to my elephant skin areas which would crack and bleed sometimes. Humans make good pets; they do everything to take care of you!

One week after I arrive at my new home, the mutt couple brought back a 10 month old white frenchbull dog. She looked more like a cross between a frenchie and a boston terrier, and was very skinny, with sooty ears and heavily soiled underbelly when she arrived at my house (note: it is MY house). The mutt couple named her Tofu. Oh well, I guess I could use an underling. :)

Very soon, Tofu had a very strong allergy reaction, with huge pimples and boils appearing all over her body, and losing fur like lallang in full bloom everyday. Maybe white fur is weaker than brindle fur?? Hmmmmm...

Finally they decided to cook for us. They were convinced by my previous pet about the benefits of a home cooked diet with fresh and natural ingredients, without the invasion of chemicals, preservatives, unknown animal product sources and all Nature's goodness and wholesome benefits. I raised both paws and supported the decision!

Human pets don't smell and howl to communicate; they had to spend a lot of time talking to experts like my previous pet, other rehomers who feed home cooked diets, internet sources and reference books that they can get their hands on. If you had done the same thing, you might realise how some human information can be a bit dubious, based on individual beliefs and experience. Human communication is a lot more backward than dogs. They slogged through the sea of information to arrive at what they have found to work. That really works.

It has been more than a year since I adopted the humans, and nine months on REAL food with properly planned nutrition. And paw licking good! We have made significant improvements, bit by bit, and we are very happy with the progress that we have made. And my tummy has been really happy and satisfied! ^o^

All dogs should eat REAL food. Nobody wants to survive on commercial food only. Imagine yourself having cereal and ONLY cereal for the rest of your life. It doesnt matter how nutritious it is; if it is the same forever, and dry, you'd get bored. It is primitive instinct to live for food and companionship. Why deprive us dogs of living like a dog, eating proper food, like YOU humans?

And so DoggieStyle Bento has started, to share nutritious healthy food with all canines, to spread the love for our previous furry friends. I can't wait for the next meal! Boy, am I glad I got a canine chef as my pet!

No comments:

Post a Comment